[kde-linux] customizing welcome screens

Philipp Paul bobbor.pap at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 5 10:42:29 UTC 2007

On Thursday 05 July 2007 11:13:44 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday 05 July 2007, Andrew Walbran wrote:
> > On Thursday 05 July 2007 8:50 am, Philipp Paul wrote:
> > > hi all..
> > > recently, after some heavy usage of KMail and Konqueror, i realised,
> > > that the welcome screens seem to be in HTML-Format..
> > > this made me think, that they are customizable..
> > > can i do this?
> > > and if yes.. where are the HTML/CSS files located and how to edit
> > > them... just to make clear i DO know HTML and i DO know CSS, but maybe
> > > there are some kind of makros used. well that would maybe make it
> > > necessary for me to edit them too.
> > >
> > > any help would help
> >
> > At least on Debian, these seem to be under
> > /usr/share/apps/konqueror/about and /usr/share/apps/kmail/about. I assume
> > the %n are where strings are substituted in according to the current
> > language.
>
> More generally speaking we call this the "app data" paths.
>
> You can get a list of paths searched for data resources by the following
> command:
> % kde-config --path data
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

thanks a lot.. i found it, and now i can do what i want..
by following you're advices i found out, that vim treats read-only HTML-Files
as if it where some text browser... so when i wanted to view/edit this file
as non-root user, i just saw :
%1
%2
%3
%4

but no source ...
anyway.. thank you.. so i asked one question and got two answers ;)