[kde-linux] Exporting mails from kmail

Peter Humphrey prh at gotadsl.co.uk
Thu Jul 5 07:42:50 UTC 2007

--------- Original Message --------
From: For people using KDE on Linux with related questions/problems
<kde-linux at kde.org>
To: For people using KDE on Linux with related questions/problems
<kde-linux at kde.org>
Subject: Re: [kde-linux] Exporting mails from kmail
Date: 04/07/07 23:02

> On Thursday 05 July 2007 10:56 am, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Is there a way I can export all the several thousand e-mails I have
in
> > kmail in a format in which I can import them into Thunderbird?
> Can Thunderbird not import them directly? KMail normally stores folders
in=
> =20
> standard mbox or maildir format, so you should just be able to point=20
> Thunderbird at wherever your mail is (~/Mail for me, yours may be
somewhere=
> =20
> else). I have not actually used Thunderbird, so make no guarantees.

Kmail stores its mail in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail. Don't ask me why it's
hidden, nor why kmail silently overrides any attempt to put it elsewhere,
but that's one reason why I want to change e-mail client.

When I start Thunderbird it offers to import mail, but only of one type:
Communicator 4.0. I assume that will not do.

--
Rgds
Peter.

PS. Sorry about the quoting format - this is a nasty Web mail system at my
ISP.