[kde-linux] KDE + Time Zones + Daylight-saving-time

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Fri Feb 23 16:33:25 UTC 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007 0:39, Kevin Krammer wrote:

>> > Would be interesting if this is a thing KDE does or something the
>> > distributor patched into KDE.
>> > Mandriva is known to do all sorts of patched without checking for side
>> > effects.
>>
>> It would probably be a combination of both: KDE "must" have it's
>> timezones stored somewhere within KDE's tree, and Mandriva has probably
>> heavyly adjusted it. But it probably follows KDE's rules...
>
>The problem is that KDE is running with your user's privileges, which should
>not allow it to copy anything into /etc unless you provide a root password.
>
>> What should I look for?
>
>I am not sure. Does RPM allow to query which package a file belongs to?
>In this case you could check which package provides
>the  /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Sao_Paulo file you found out gets copied.

Different systems vary, but one of the standard ways of setting the system
time zone is to copy the appropriate time zone file from /usr/share/zoneinfo
(which is a standard location for time zones to be stored - nothing to do with
KDE) into /etc/localtime. If KDE is actually setting the _system_ time zone as
opposed to the individual user's time zone, this copying to /etc/localtime is to
be expected - it will be done by the standard process which KDE uses to set
the system time zone. If you have previously customised /etc/localtime, your
customisation will therefore be overwritten when KDE sets the system time
zone.

--
David Jarvie.