[kde-linux] DCOP missing after Etch upgrade

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Feb 19 12:30:41 UTC 2007

On Monday 19 February 2007 10:27, john gennard wrote:
> I have very recently installed Debian Etch (kernel 2.6.18-3-686)
> on three boxes. I used the CD1-Kde available about nine days
> ago and upgraded two boxes six days ago. One box upgraded
> perfectly whilst the other did not allow Kde to fully launch
> and provided the following error message:-

What system did you upgrade from? A previous Etch or Sarge?

> Can anyone help me to get over this problem please? A simple
> explanation of how DCOP works and is called may also help me.

Usually, on a clean KDE start, there are one file starting with .DCOP and a
symlink starting with the same prefix in the user's home directory.
The file contains information how to contact the DCOP server, a process
started during KDE startup (by the kdeinit process)

You could try this:
in case you are using KDM (or any other graphical login), change to a
different type of login, e.g. failsafe

Then, in this other session, in a terminal, type

kdeinit

This should start the minimum KDE environment and output errors if it can't

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring