[kde-linux] Window Borders Have Dissapeared

Steve O'Neill soneill at netaxs.com
Tue Dec 18 19:34:37 UTC 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Andrew Walbran wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 6:42:14 am Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
> > On Monday 17 December 2007 20:58, Steve O'Neill wrote:
> > > 3. All the windows I open seem to want to open up in the lower right
> > > corner. Because I can't move the windows, it's become impossible to use
> > > the Control Center to modify any of the window properties or set up more
> > > than one desktop.
> >
> > No idea how to bring back the borders on your windows but have you tried
> > moving them with:
> > keep left alt key pressed, left click in the window, keep mouse button
> > pressed and drag.
>
> If that does not work, try opening Konsole and typing 'kwin &'. I suspect that
> the KDE window manager has not been started for some reason; that will start
> it. If it does not start with that command, the output it gives could be
> useful in debugging the problem.

Here's what I get when I do this:

kwin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkdeinit_kwin.so: undefined symbol:
_ZNK11NETRootInfo24desktopLayoutOrientationEv

Obviously, kwin _isn't_ running(confirmed by look with 'ps').  I suspect one
of the packages I installed has caused this, but I don't know which one.  I've
already found one official PCLinuxOS package that doesn't work because of an
undefined symbol in the program; there may be others.  It looks like I'm going
to have to re-install the system and build it back up piece by piece until I
find the package that's causing the problem.  Fortunately, I'm not dependent
of this distro for any "real" uses yet, so all this will cost me is a bit of
time.  Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Steve O'Neill