[kde-linux] kde4 help

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Dec 16 17:09:50 UTC 2007

On Sunday 16 December 2007, Jim Philips wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > - currently the only way to get plasmoids onto a panel is directly
> > dragging them from the "add applet" dialog to the panel. However,
> > relocating (e.g. moving from panel to desktop or vice versa) is one of
> > the core concepts if the Plasma and will probably be available soon.
>
> I'm not clear on how you do that. How do I get to the "add applet" dialog?

I think you can right-click on the desktop or use the "toolbox" in the upper
right corner.

> I have another problem. The strigidaemon regularly takes up to 70% of my
> CPU resources. Are other users seeing this? It certainly negates any of
> the other efficiencies gained in KDE4. Strigi was doing this to me in
> KDE3 too, which was why I stopped using it. But it seems to be required
> for KDE4.

Strigi will probably use quite some CPU while it is doing the initial
indexing, though I would expect that it does so with lower priority than
other processes, i.e. getting all the CPU time when no other process needs
it.
Depending on how it is built, it will use file system notifications afterwards
to only update the index when files change.

It can be turned off though, I recently saw this in a screencast by Sebastian
TrĂ¼g about Nepomuk/KDE, probably linked to from the latest Commit Digest.

It probably also follows powersaving settings, e.g. not doing
as-fast-as-possible indexing or no indexing at all when "conserve power mode"
is active.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring