[kde-linux] Why do I lose my keyboard's media keys when I set the compose key ?

Ibrahim Mubarak ibmub80 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 19:14:02 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm under Kubuntu Feisty. KDE version 3.5.6. I have a keyboard with multi media keys. The play, stop, next, previous, volume up and volume down as well as the media application launcher keys worked out of the box with Amarok. However, when I try to setup the compose key in the System Settings -> Regional & Language -> Keyboard Layout -> Xkb Options, and hit the apply button, the media keys stop working. They stop working till I deactivate the compose key, logout and log back in. The command being displayed at the bottom is : setxkbmap -option compose:ralt.

My question : is there a way I can activate the compose key without having to reprogram all of the media keys ?

I would also like to know which application is responsible for setting the keyboard layout so that the media keys worked out of the box.

Thanks in advance,
ib