[kde-linux] kde and alsa

Dale dalek at exceedtech.net
Mon Apr 16 18:12:15 UTC 2007

Mikhail Umorin wrote:
> On Mon April 16 2007 12:44, xavier mas wrote:
>
>> El Lunes 16 Abril 2007 04:46, Mikhail Umorin escribió:
>>
>>> Hello --
>>>
>>> I am trying to delete alsa rpms but the rpm manager tells me that
>>> virtually whole of the kde must be deleted as well. Is kde that dependent
>>> on alsa? I am using Mandriva 2007. kde 3.5.4
>>>
>>> Mikhail.
>>>
>> Your question is the answer at the same time. You can't uninstall apps of
>> the KDE Desktop witout uninstalling the whole desktop.
>>
> Yes, but alsa is a set of sound drivers what does it have to do with a desktop
> environment? If I have no sound card does it mean i cannot have KDE?

Well, thing is, the rest of KDE is compiled with audio support therefore
it needs alsa to work, even if you don't have a sound card.  I use
Gentoo and it compiles everything and I can disable alsa and then it
wouldn't need alsa but since you are using a distro that comes already
compiled, that may not be a option for you.  It's sort of like this,
take KDE with alsa as it is or learn how to compile all the KDE packages
without alsa support so you can get rid of alsa.  Since Mandriva is not
really designed for you to do all that, it would be a uphill battle
since KDE is a large package.

Hope the helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
www.myspace.com/-remove-me-dalek1967

Copy n paste then remove the -remove-me- part.