[kde-linux] problem when running autoconf

Nasser parallel.au at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 04:38:41 UTC 2006

hello Amit,

i'm a bit of a newbie myself, but from a quick search you can find
autoconf here:

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/

a good one to select might be "autoconf-2.60.tar.bz2".. download
this..  from a konsole do the following:
> tar -jxf autoconf-2.60.tar.bz2
> cd autoconf-2.60

There is a "readme" file and "install" file.. have a quick read of
them... but basically do:
> ./configure --prefix=/home/yourlogin/someplace
> make
> make install

please note that "yourlogin" should be replaced with whatever your
login name is... and "someplace" is the path you want to install to..
i suggested having this prefix in case things go wrong, this is just
to make sure that your old autoconf does not get overwritten..

that should basically install autoconf.. but note that
"/home/yourlogin/someplace " needs to be on your path...

to make sure you are using the newly installed autoconf, type "which
autoconf" and it should show /home/yourlogin/someplace.. if this is
not the case, that means it found the old autoconf before the new
one... so, make sure /home/yourlogin/someplace is first in the path

if it all work, then you can do a proper install (repeat the steps but
do not use the --prefix=/home/yourlogin/someplace part)

hope this helps.. but i'm a big of a newbie myself - so any feedback is cool..

good luck!
nasser