[kde-linux] Where are the KMenu entries stored on disk?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Sep 12 15:41:44 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 12 September 2006 16:36, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> On Windows, the Start Menu entries are stored as shortcuts in a folder
> heirarchy at some place like C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Start
> Menu.
>
> So I used to be able to power-manipulate my Windows menu by going to
> that folder directly instead of newbieish drag-and-drop on the menu
> itself.
>
> Where are the KMenu entries stored on disk in KDE/Linux? Is the KMenu
> Editor the only way to manipulate the KMenu? I sincerely hope not.

KDE (I think since 3.4) follows the freedesktop.org menu specification.
The paths where KDE looks for menu files (which define the menu structures)
and, as Rod already mentioned, .desktop files (which define the menu entries)
can be queried like this

$ kde-config --path xdgconf-menu

Paths for menu files

$ kde-config --path xdgdata-apps