[kde-linux] hd partitions don't appear in storage media folder

Petrica Gasca petricagasca at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 25 18:22:39 UTC 2006

> see all the partitions in the /media folder as supposed. I had to add
> them manually in /etc/fstab, but they get mounted at boot time, and if
> I navigate with a file browser (konqueror, krusader etc) I see them all
> right.

Are you SURE you want to do this?
Isn't it highly unusual to mount all those things in /media?
After all, that was meant to be a dynamicly managed folder by the kde
mounting system.

Wouldn't it make more sense to mount these in a somewhat more
logical place in the file system tree (perhaps /mnt) and leave /media
for kde to deal with dynamic mounts (cdroms, diskettes, etc)?

As you have discovered the menu item Go/Storage Media is just
a GUI way of entering media:/.
On every Distro I've tested, that will list partitions. So it seems
something is broken in your system but I don't know what.

Please be assured that the ONLY thing I care is to have the hard-disk partitions in the Storage Media location.
In order to do that I did also the change of all partitions from the /media system folder to the /mnt system folder in the /etc/fstab file. No result.

I want to be as clear as possible so I will explain once again.
The local partitions don't appear in the Storage Media KDE location when I access it with Konqueror or any other tool. Everything else does (even nfs mounted locations) but the local partitions.
I don't care at all where I should define them (/media folder, /mnt folder, leave them undefined in /etc/fstab etc) as long as they appear, which they don't.
I just tried everything that came up my mind and didn't succed, so I also supposed that probably something is broken.
The question is: does anyone know what, or at least has a clue what I should search for?

Petrica