[kde-linux] rinning out of space on root partition

Andrew Walbran qwandor at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 20:50:24 UTC 2006

On Monday 23 October 2006 9:27 am, noc at aphofis.com wrote:
> I am running out of space on one systems root partition. I am running
> KDE desktop from SUSE 10.1 Distro.
>
> I have created a partition with the file system ID 0xFD Linux RAID and
> altered the root partition to the same file type in preparation for
> creating a RAID 0
>
> I understand that I will have to umount the / partition before I create
> the RAID 0 and set the RAID 0 to a mount point of /
>
> My concern is that if I umount / partition that the partition app will
> no longer work - or will it happily reside in RAM whilst I make the
> changes.
>
> I am quite confident in altering partitions and creating RAID's and
> resizing but have never had to alter the / partition
>
> I am petrified I am going to loose the whole partition.
>
> Can anyone for-see any problems with the above.
You probably won't be able to unmount the root partition. Certainly,
unmounting it would make your system unusable. You should make your partition
changes while running from a live CD.

Also, won't creating a RAID 0 destroy the existing data on the root partition?
You should copy it somewhere else first, and then copy it back onto the new
partition.

Another possibility is to move e.g. /home to a different partition than the
root filesystem.

--
Andrew Walbran
website: http://q.geek.nz/