[kde-linux] No panel?

Russel Hill russh347 at gmail.com
Fri May 5 13:11:23 UTC 2006

On 5/5/06, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Friday 05 May 2006 06:40, Russel Hill wrote:
> > I had KDE running just fine a few days ago.  I run my box more-or-less
> > headless using a vnc serrver.  Then, I switched to debian unstable and
> > dist-upgraded...  I worked through some fontpath issues and managed to
> > get the vncserver running again, but it comes up without a panel.
> > Running kicker from the konsole does bring up a panel (thankfully, a
> > konsole gets started).  I've tried:
> >
> > - cleaning /tmp
> > - cleaning /var/tmp
> > - cleaning ~/.kde (both surgically and with a big hammer)
> > - creating a new user
>
> If it fails for a new user, it is probably something in the
> installation/global config.
>
> Do you have
> /usr/share/autostart/panel.desktop

yes, attached.

> package "kicker"

dpkg -l |grep kicker
ii  kicker                           3.5.2-2
desktop panel for KDE
ii  kicker-applets                   3.5.2-1
applets for Kicker, the KDE panel

I tried dpkg-reconfigure kicker, no luck.

Also, it looks like kdesktop isn't starting either.  Is there some
place in the installation/global config that would control both of
them? Or, all of /usr/share/autostart?