[kde-linux] Kontact/KMail Behaviour Differences

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 24 03:52:26 UTC 2006

On 23 Mar 2006, at 09:44 , Sylviane et Perry White wrote:

> On Thursday 23 March 2006 15:27, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:
>> (snip)
>> Why does KMail not remove all Deleted mail items on exit when it
>> is invoked
> as part of Kontact?

This occurs when KMail is invoked through the Kontact navigation panel.

> Hi Merton,
>
> Not sure is goes the same with your version of KMail (I have Suse 9.3)
>
> Under Settings/Configure KMail/Accounts/Receiving Tab,
> make sure you *didn't* check the option :
> 	"Leave fetched messages on the server"

Currently, I have seven systems from which I routinely read mail.
In the early Nineties, I adopted Pine as my standard Mail User Agent
as it allowed me to keep the mail on the IMAP server.  This kept all
mail in a single location and accessible from whatever system I was
using at the time.

>> KMail is configured to remove all Deleted messages when I  quit
>> KMail.
> What does that mean ? How dou you know ? I have problems
> understanding you
> because I never encountered this option in KMail.
> On my version I belive the messages are removed from the server as
> soon as I
> *download* them, but there is also an option to empty the trashcan

The only reason that I'm attempting to use KMail is that I like the
way that it handles HTML mail.  Initially, it displays the raw HTML
as does Pine.  With KMail, I have the option to display the HTML
content after I examine the raw text.  Pine doesn't provide this
capability.  [ As an aside, my favourite tool for generating web
content is vi and, as a result, I know what "good" HTML looks like.
The "crap" generated by most Microsoft tools is sometimes hard to read

The second feature of KMail's HTML handling is that it divides the
HTML content display into two parts:  the basic textual part and the
image part.  As an aside, my favourite tool for generating web
content is vi and, as a result, I know what "good" HTML looks like.
The "crap" generated by most Microsoft and Windows-based tools is
sometimes too hard to read.  I like the fact that  I can use KMail to
"cleanup" and display the text without downloading any additional
content.

> automatically when I *quit* KMail.( under ..../Misc)

I delete messages.  I don't move them to the trash.

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at adelphia.net