[kde-linux] Konqueror launches clicked executables from what path?

Morgan Venable Morgan at MOTO.com
Thu Mar 2 17:16:35 UTC 2006

Hi, I'm pretty new to Linux -- I've got an odd thing happening in Konqueror/KDE:
Running Fedora Core 4, KDE 3.4.0-6 Redhat

I have a binary "apool" which runs fine from the command line:
[in /home/me/apps/apool99/)]
$ ./apool

User account owns it, not root, and it *is* executable.

Works fine, runs -- it's an OpenGL pool game.

However, when I navigate to this same location in Konqueror, and click on the "apool" binary, it doesn't run -- just launches and immediately closes a brief empty terminal.  Nothing else, and I can't see if there's anything happening in that brief moment.

I tried it in Gnome/Nautilus just out of curiousity, and it runs fine when opened from the file browser -- no problem at all.

I suspect it's a path issue:

When called from the wrong directory at Konsole, "apool" terminates because it can't find a particular file -- it's looking for "konst.dat" with no location specified (just bad programming style on the part of the author).  I think this may be what's happening -- I can launch other binaries from Konqueror just fine, so I assume there's a path issue.

I have two questions:
1) Is there a way I can make a terminal launched by an executable persist?  That is, to make it launch and then leave the terminal open so I can see what happened?

2) How can I configure the path in Konqueror so that when I click an executable, it runs in the folder Konqueror is currently located in?  Or if this seems like a bad idea, can someone explain why?

I'm confused because it works as expected in Gnome...

Many thanks,

morgan

Morgan Venable
Project Lead