[kde-linux] kcontrol -> panels -> appearance tab missing!

Jason Mancini jayrusman at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 7 16:54:18 UTC 2006

I upgraded two Mandriva computers, and *one* was left without an
"Appearance" tab on the Panels configuration.  Running the
command "kcmshell kicker_config" shows an error message like
"the module could not be found and thus was not loaded".
It's driving me nuts!  I've tracked it down to a file named
kicker_config_appearance.desktop that seems to be missing
in /var/lib/menu-xdg and ~/.local/... but I can't figure out how
it is generated from /usr/lib/menu/kdebase-kicker_config_appearance.
Google shows very few others have had this problem for several
months now, with no solutions listed.

What is the magic?!  The two computers have the *exact* same
rpm versions installed!

-Jason