[kde-linux] Why does apt-get fail

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Aug 12 20:57:29 UTC 2006

Charlie Bradley wrote:
> This may not be the right list so forgive me.
> I use Kubuntu and everytime try to run apt-get update it fails to connect to
> the repositories.  So I have to go to KDE>sytstem settings>network settings
> and go into administrator mode.  Then to the domain name sytem tab and edit
> the dns server names.  I always find two addresses here.  The ip address of
> the modem and one DNS address.  In order for apt-get to work I have add the
> second DNS address and remove the IP addy.
>
> Why is it that <network settings> grabs the IP addy instead of the second DNS
> addy??
> I have a feeling it has something to do with the actiontec modem setup.
> Charlie

I presume that you have DSL (or if not what?).  I have a ZyXEL modem
which I got with EarthLink DSL service.  With my modem, it is possible
to tell the modem the two DNS addresses.

I would guess that the KDE auto detection is getting confused.

Setting the DNS addresses in the modem, as I did, will cure this problem.

It is also possible that you could put the DNS addresses in:

"/etc/resolv.conf" like this:

	nameserver 207.69.188.185
	nameserver 207.69.188.186

and that would fix it.