[kde-linux] imap over kmail

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Wed Oct 26 06:35:34 UTC 2005

> I've got a seemingly rare setup on my desktop computer: I run a mail
> server on
> my computer which collects mail forwarded from various other servers. My
> mail
> is then collected by kmail, passed through my long list of filters, and
> finally separated into various maildir directories under ~/Mail.
>
> Now, when I'm using my laptop, I can access my calendar and contact files
> remotely via fish, but there seems to be no easy way to do the same for my
> e-mail.
>
> The best way I can think of would be to run an IMAP server on my desktop
> which
> just reads mail from ~/Mail, however I have had a very difficult time
> getting
> this to work. Kmail says that it will play nicely with other mail clients
> using the same directories, and the IMAP server should be just like any
> other
> client. I have tried most of the IMAP servers available in the debian
> repository (courier, dovecott, cyrus, uw), but no luck.
>
> Has anybody else gotten something like this to work, or have you found an
> alternate solution to remotely accessing your desktop mail files?

I think there is some major confusion here -
an imap-server is NOT another client reading from ~/Mail in parallel with
kmail.
a correct setup works like this:
- collect your mails from several sources - fetchmail comes to mind.
- sort/filter the mails appropriately (procmail/bogofilter/spamassassin)
- provide the mails to your client(s) via imap-server (courier,cyrus..)
you may want to google for explicit examples on how to do this.

HTH

werner