[kde-linux] trashed my ~/kde3.3/lib directory

Mark Longridge cubeman at cubezzz.homelinux.org
Fri Oct 7 07:53:05 UTC 2005

Hi Anders,

Well I solved my problem... by installing
kde 3.4.2 with the konstruct utility! So
now I have upgraded kde with konstruct twice,
once to 3.3 and now to the 3.4.2 version.
It took about 24 hours but at least I can
now check out the latest version.

All worked smoothly but I had to do three
extra steps at the end:

chgrp -R user ~/kde3.4.2
chown -R user ~/kde3.4.2

plus I also had to:

chgrp -R user /var/tmp/kdecache-user
chown -R user /var/tmp/kdecache-user

In my case user was actually cubeman which is
what I always use. Then I rebooted and presto
it all worked. By the way I am still using
Fedora Core 1 but that didn't seem to be
any problem.

I don't know what a cookie file looks like
with respect to kde but I learned not to mess
with ~/kdexx.yy/lib . There are over 220 megs
of files in that directory and I don't know
what they all do so clearly I need to be more careful
and NEVER execute "rm *". Maybe I can make
them read-only but for now I just backup that
directory!

Mark