[kde-linux] Why can't KDE 3.3.2 leave my desktop icons alone?

Eike Lantzsch zp6cge at gmx.net
Fri Jul 22 10:08:37 UTC 2005

Well, this is a problem which angered me already with previous versions of
KDE.
I straighten out my icons with "align to grid" (They don't say "Jawoll" - but
anyway but they stand in rank and file.) I save the desktop session and leave
"align to grid" switched on. After restarting KDE one icon on the upper part
of the desktop is shifted to the right. And one of the device icosn, which I
have in a leftmost vertical row is now in the seacond vertical row from the
left. All icons on the lower part are shifted up - every $/&%$"§ time the
desktop is started. Up one row - restart - up another row.
So I switch "align to grid" off and save the desktop session.
Restart.
Some icons shift to the left others to the right - makes a "nice" wave ...

So why can't KDE leave my "!&%$§&$ desktop icon alone and leave them stay put
where I left them?!

(# = some icon; T = Trash icon; F = Floppy icon; D = DVD icon; U = USB device
icon; P = Kpilot icon)

what I adjust before restart:
# # # # # # # # #
T #
F #
D #
D #
U #
P                                               #
#                                               #
                                                 #
#
_______________________

What I get without "align to grid" after restart
# # # # # # # # #
T  #
F  #
 D #
D  #
 U #
P                                               #
#                                               #
                                                 #
#
_______________________

what I get with "align to grid" after restart:
# # # # # # # # #
T # #   <- some icon now always here
F #
D D     <- DVD-RW icon now takes other place
U #
P                                               #
                                                 # <- these icons now up
#  <- these icons now up one row

Thank you for your hints and consideration.

Eike

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE
Casilla de Correo 1519