Qt Linguist | Localization | Finnish language

Lasse Liehu lasse.liehu at iki.fi
Tue Dec 20 18:02:51 GMT 2022

Ricky Tigg wrote:
> Hello –*Terve* for Finns. I am willing to contribute to translating Ql Linguist GUI into Finnish language. Since in version 6.23 the GUI was in default language, i could conclude that Finnish localization is not yet supported. Nevertheless as stated here <https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Localization>, as prerequisite, i would need to know *whether KDE already has a translation of Qt (v.4.x) to (my) language and whether they would be willing (and legally able) to contribute it to Qt upstream.*. I would be ready to translate as soon as possible. Regards.
> --

Hi,

KDE indeed had a Finnish translation of Qt 4. When Qt 5 was new, we localized Qt 5 libraries based on that work. Developer tools like Qt Linguist were not localized and KDE never had translations for Qt 4 tools, only for the libraries. This is to say that KDE doesn't have any existing Finnish translations for Qt Linguist and you are free to start translating it from scratch after contacting people in the Qt community.

Cheers