[Kde-kiosk] how to force users to log into KDE (modify KDM menu)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed Jun 22 07:21:51 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 12:16:34AM +0200, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> $@#$%@$%$!@%^$! ***PLEASE*** stop referring to this fscking manual!!!
>
> My mail was based on reading it. If even I can't get it right after reading
> the manual, how on earth are people who know even less of KDE's internals
> like Mr Wiggles get it right?

hmmm, how did i get this past lauri? :}

> So please step down from your throne, grab our hands and guide us. Where
> should the files be put instead? I can't find it, the manual just says I
> should "shadow" the desktop files, but it doesn't mention WHERE to shadow
> them. $KDEHOME is the usual location for KDE, but that one is out for KDM.

uhm, damn, this might be one of the uncommited things. it is explained
in the file system layout, which was/is in the README and was supposed
to go into the manual. i don't remember whether this actually happened
there should also be a reference to the .desktop entry standard ...
somehow it seems to have got lost ...

> > listing all options that populate the menu would make sense as well.
> > without some RTFM i don't recall them all, either.
>
> Where's that located? The TOC doesn't list anything with "Kiosk" in
> the name

well, that's the problem *somebody* is supposed to solve. ;)
anyway, asking "how do i get rid of the menu" is the wrong question. you
want to get rid of the actions that populate it. and as the menu is
clever enough to disappear if it finds itself empty, the first question
is answered implicitly.

> and the KDM help page doesn't appear to have any Index page that I can
> search.

i have no idea whether/that i'm supposed to create one. i'm assuming
lauri would have told me if something important was missing. :)

> PS: This is the first time in years that I'm using the KDE help
> system, and as far as I'm concerned also the last time. It's a
> usability disaster to navigate.

you ain't the first to notice ...

> Open KHelpCenter and you're instantly lost, search for a keyword and
> you first need to create some index (for all available
> documentation?!?

yes, it runs htdig or some other indexer over the system.

> what's wrong with grep?

you can't do this on marked up text. maybe it was also considered too
slow on low-end systems.

> Where's a precompiled index to accompany full text searching?),

well, that's what the above prompt was about. only that it is created
on demand.

> there is no overview what can be found in which chapter and which
> paragraph and no screenshots. Perhaps the latter is only true for KDM,
> but all in all using the KDE help center in my frustrated opinion is a
> disaster.

the low "multimedia" and high techie standards of the kdm manual are due
to me (because there is just nobody with better presentation skills who
wants to do it ...).
and the help center is roughly still the one from 2.0 times, i think.
anyway, wrong list for this topic.