[Kde-kiosk] Disabling printer specific properties?

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Dec 10 12:51:51 CET 2004

On Sunday 28 November 2004 18:06, Klaus Weidenbach wrote:
> Heihei,
>
> When I open the print dialog I can choose a printer and all these other
> things. On the right side I have a button "Properties" where I can do
> printer specific settings. I would like to disable this one, because there
> people can set banner or chaning several things that cause me problems.
> *gg*
>
> I have looked first where I could just disable some of these settings, but
> I couldn't find any kde config entrys and I think these options have also
> nothing to do with the kde printing system, but are direct CUPS settings,
> or? So is there a option to disable this button?
> "print/options" just disables the System printer settings, but not these
> printer properties.
> The only way I found was "print/selection=false" but then I can also not
> change the printer anymore. Any ideas about it =))

Disabling the properties button is not possible yet. I have added it for KDE
3.4. I also noticed that print/system & print/selection wasn't working
correctly and have fixed that for KDE 3.4 as well. So in KDE 3.4 you will
have the following options available to restrict the print dialog:

Printing related action restrictions:

print/system
        - disables the option to select the printing system (backend). It is
          recommended to  disable this option once the correct printing
          system has been configured.

print/properties
        - disables the button to change printer properties or to add a new
          printer.

print/options
        - disables the button to select additional print options.

print/copies
        - disables the panel that allows users to make more than one copy.

print/selection
        - disables the options that allows selecting a (pseudo) printer or
          change any of the printer properties. Make sure that a proper
          default printer has been selected before disabling this option.
          Disabling this option also disables print/system, print/options
          and print/properties.

print/dialog
        - disables the complete print dialog. Selecting the print option will
          immediately print the selected document using default settings.
          Make sure that a system wide default printer has been selected.
          No application specific settings are honored.

bastian at kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download
bastian at suse.com  |   http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/eval.html