[Kde-kiosk] Re: KARE

Waldo Bastian kde-kiosk@mail.kde.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:21:01 +0100

On Thursday 30 January 2003 22:25, Imre, Nagy Jr. wrote:
> This application might be named Kare (Care in KDEish style) since it cares
> about the fast responsivesness and resources of the workstations. Of
> course, it is just an ide.
>
> Any ideas or comments?

Very good idea. Note that kpersonalizer already has an eye-candy setting so
maybe you could somehow create some synergie with that. Perhaps a
kpersonalizer option --limit-eye-candy which lets kpersonalizer run in
command line mode and changes eye-candy related settings.

It might also be usefull to create a set with low eye-candy-settings under
e.g. /opt/kde-no-candy and then add this directory to $KDEDIRS. By adding
[$i] to the settings you can lock them down so that any settings that the
user has in his home-directory will be ignored. The advantage of this
approach is that the user will get his own settings back when he logs in on a
more capable workstation.

Lock down features are explained in the (unfortunately rather poor) KIOSK
documentation on:
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdelibs/kdecore/README.kiosk?rev=1.23&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

I am planning a website for KDE system administrators so I would love to hear
about what you are going to use, as well as any problems you experience.