[Kde-bindings] Re: [Kde-java] Should we ditch support for Sun's JDK in favour of Free Software?

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Fri Apr 16 11:28:01 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 09:15, Richard Dale wrote:
> I can't see any need to use the JDK - maybe better debugging than via gdb
> perhaps I don't know. I don't think there's any real need to compile kde apps
> with gcj to native code, they run just fine interpreted with gij I would say.

Actually compiling java source files to native binaries/libraries makes
debugging much easier with gdb (especially if you are used to debugging
with gdb). When your code "hits" JNI/C or CNI/C++ code you just continue
to step through it. That is a really nice advantage of using the GNU
Compiler Collection (GCC) languages together with gdb it doesn't matter
which language your code is actually written in the debugger will grok
it.

> I'm not sure how well Konqueror works with java plugins, it might be possible
> to switch to gij for those - I read about a project to build a Netscape
> plugin for gij somewhere.

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/gcjwebplugin
http://people.debian.org/~avdyk/no_free_java_plugin_for_mozilla.html

Cheers,