[Kde-java] Packaging an application

KJ P kde-java@kde.org
Mon, 01 Apr 2002 17:23:31 +0000

Hello

>A simple jar distribution without a make would also be a good way. Jar +
>a readme on how to start it java -jar filename.jar would be an ok way to
>distribute binaries, as well as webstart could be thought as well.

How would you find the qtjava.jar and koala.jar files in an executable jar
file.  They are in different libraries/paths depending on the distribution.
These need to be included in the classpath of the of jar file as the
following:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Main-Class: main.class.to.execute
Class-Path: qtjava.jar koala.jar

For executable jar files I have had problems with this because they will
then need to be placed in the directory from which the jar file runs or
maybe a symbolic link to be set up for the inclusion of these (have not
tried the symbolic link yet).  The only other way is to hardcode a path and
that will not work.

These will not be picked up if you specify a classpath when executing a jar
file.

>distribute binaries, as well as webstart could be thought as well.
Webstart also has this limitation as well.  The only differenct is is that
it will download/install the kde jars only when they change.  Then you have
these jars all over the place.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this and you guys get it working.  I
would like to know as well.

Otherwise the suggestion of Richards looks the most promising so far.

Regards

Kenneth