[Kde-imaging] QtRaw, a Qt image plugin using libraw

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Fri Mar 1 08:50:17 UTC 2013

Le Thursday 28 February 2013 22:45:54 Marcel Wiesweg a écrit :
> > More on file formats: the plugin announces itself as supporting the
> > following formats:  cr2, arw, nef, raf and dng. The list is hardcoded in
> > RawPlugin::keys(). Is there something smarter to do there (like getting
> > such a list from libraw)?
>
> Yes getting the list from libkdcraw... see its file rawfiles.h

Thanks, will look into this.

> > The plugin also does something weird in RawPlugin::capabilities(), adding
> > tif format there. I am not sure this is a good idea.
> >
> > Anyway, your feedback on this is welcome. It would be nice if we can get
> > distributions to ship this plugin, but before pushing distros to package
> > it, I want to make sure it does not interfer with existing raw support in
> > digiKam and other imaging applications.
>
> digikam uses libkdcraw and no QImageIO architecture for this.
> RAW files are 16 bit data; QImage is 8 bit. Auto conversion is good, often
> the embedded preview is better for the purpose of having something in 8 bit
> to display; most though, the preview is smaller. Not necessarily.
> So it should be clear, from the plugins documentation, that you'll always
> have a sort of lossy conversion.

Sure, it makes sense for digiKam to have proper 16 bit support. I was not
suggesting switching from libkdcraw to this plugin, just being cautious about
whether digiKam behavior could be affected by a Qt image plugin claiming
support for raw. Does digiKam use QImageIO for 8 bit images?