[Kde-imaging] [RFC] kipi & co. release plan proposal

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Wed Mar 19 23:42:44 CET 2008

mercoledì 19 marzo 2008, Achim Bohnet ha scritto:
> On Tuesday, 18. March 2008, Angelo Naselli wrote:
> > libkipi
> > 21-24/3 libkipi      0.2.0 (*kde4*) beta
> >              libkipi      0.1.6 (kde3) need to verify if we can avoid breaking abi first
>
> I would suggest release and break API with 0.1.6 only when there are
> kde3 kipi-plugins available that make use of the interface to implement
> new enduser functionality (runtime versus buildtime lib version does
> not count as enduser functionality).
The problem is that digikam 0.9.4 beta already use new api. I need to
make test and see if the abi breakage (set up on makefile.am) was a mistake
or not, maybe i'll ping you soon for testing :p

> Angelo, scheduled 0.1.6 as bug fix release.  And to be honest when
> I consider free time constraints: Better implement new features in
> KDE4 (first) if there time left for backports ... we'll see ;)
 exactly that.

> > libkexiv2
> > 21-24/3 libkexiv2  0.1.7 (kde3) need to verify if we can avoid breaking abi first
>
> Again only break API if there's a real win for the user of the applications.
> For new we have KDE4 were we can break every API we want.
ditto.

> > kipi-plugins
> > 12-13/4 kipi-plugins 0.1.6 (kde3) beta1 (it should be only a bug fixing release)
> > 19-20/4 kipi-plugins 0.1.6 (kde3) beta2 or rc1
> > 19-20/4 kipi-plugins 0.2.0 (*kde4*) beta1
> > 16-27/4 kipi-plugins 0.1.6 (kde3) rc1 or final (can be postponned by a week)
> > 3-4/5   kipi-plugins 0.1.6 (kde3) final if not yet done
>
> 0.1.6 looks fine.
>
> 0.2.0 I'm not sure.  Will gwenview support kipi-plugins in 0.4.1 if we release
> now?
I and Aurelien would like to port kipi interface into gwenview. But to make it available
at least a beta is needed. Distro can package that and have an starting kipi support.
To distro packagers and maintainers patching them if necessary. But at least a beta
is needed I believe.

> If not, better wait with a release until the digikam/kphotoalbum for KDE4
>         reach a releaseable state.  Until then use svn builds
these two have their release cycle and we can work with them for the finals.

> If gwenview does, do we implizitly promixe not to break API compatibility
> during KDE4 life cyle for libkipi?
http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Schedules/KDE4/4.1_Feature_Plan#kdegraphics
Well not really, since it is not mandatory to uild kipi support. Aurelien?

> > If needed we could release for *kde4* the betas for libkexiv2 and libkdcraw as well.
> > Those betas are to be intended to unlock host applications and help them to
> > include new kipi plugins generation.
>
> 'if needed' happens IMHO when the first KDE4 app that uses libkipi is ready
> for release.
In this case only digikam and kphotoalbum care about them by now. And that recalls
to me I haven't sent a mail to kphotoalbum ml. Anyone subscribed to that list can
fw it? thanks