[Kde-imaging] Unified sync plugin

Colin Guthrie kde at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jan 16 10:36:01 CET 2007

Frank Siegert wrote:
> That is indeed a bit more advanced, then what I had in mind, and doesn't
> really sound like a plugin, but rather part of the host application.

No, I disagree. This will fit very neatly into the plugin structure IMO.
Most of the "hooks" already exist in the current libkipi, all that
remains IMO is:
 * Full abstraction of file paths (e.g. Albums should not be given as
Folders/Directories IMO, they should be fully abstracted as collections
of Images/Items - this has been previously discussed IIRC)
 * Ability for the Host application to store key/value pairs against a
Album or Image/Item.

This can come slighlty later tho' as I can focus development differently
until I have some time to hack Kipi/Host applications.

> To be honest, for my (own, user!) needs that seems like overkill. I'd very
> much prefer to use a more dynamic setup, i.e. use the selection
> possibilities*, which the host application offers, and then send that
> selection to the export plugin, where I just want to be able to reuse
> settings from last time, but no need to preconfigure anything.
> But that's only my imagination of the workflow, though it would be much easier
> to implement.

Actually, the implementation that I had in mind is very much compatible
with your suggestion.

At the moment I am primarily concerned with creating a well structured
abstraction/factory system for the various different "sinks" (where the
"source" will be the host application). Once this is done, creating a
fully integrated sync framework like I previously suggested will be
possible (with the above mentioned libkipi changes etc.)

> Is that worth the much more complicated structure?
> If yes (you and others must know better than I!), then I'll probably wait for
> you to get started with the structure, as it sounds a bit too complicated for
> me as a beginner, and then add the "Sync to KIO directory" part to it. I just
> hope, the UI is not too complex then, for simply exporting the current
> selection to a new target.
> If not, I'd try to get started with it in the way I planned to do it, and also
> include KIO as one sync target. I don't have any knowledge (nor interest) in
> the flickr/Gallery/picasaweb etc. plugins, so you or anybody else who is
> interested, could add (port) them whenever you want?

In my opinion, the first stages will not really concern a GUI as such,
but will be ensuring that the abstraction of "sinks" is working nicely
adn will cope with the various different sinks out there.

We can then add your "one time sync" (or export!) style wizard and, when
complete, ask if they want to save the sink for future use etc. I'm sure
it will all fit in nicely, let me just get this first bit out of the way
and we can work on the non-fully-integrated UI bit together. Failing
that please feel free to start your own work and we can just combine
them later? It's up to you really :)

You can expect the development pace of a stoned sloth with a hangover on
a particularly lazy sunday..... :p (I'll try to do a bit more than that
really!!)

Col