[Kde-imaging] dcraw 8.42..

Aurelien Gateau aurelien.gateau at free.fr
Tue Nov 7 16:27:37 CET 2006

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 11:29:57 +0100, Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at kdemail.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a good example about the uncompatibility of dcraw command line
> option.
> I have tried to update the dcraw implementation into digiKam core and
> kipi-plugins RAW converter from 8.40 and 8.42 (the last version), and look
> like the "-s" option has _CHANGED_ :
>
> 8.40:    "\n-s        Use secondary pixels (Fuji Super CCD SR only)"
>
> 8.42:    "\n-s [0-99] Select a different raw image from the same file"
[snip]
> This suck roally (:=(
[snip]
> To support the last dcraw source code, i need to update my dcraw interface
> in
> both programs. It's redondant. This including a littlle question : why not
> create a new shared "libkdcraw" library witch include this interface and
> the
> compatible dcraw.c implementation ?

I understand your frustration :-/ this indeed sucks... not only for us, but
also for anyone who integrated dcraw in some kind of script...

While I understand that creating libkdcraw would be quite easier, maybe it
would be worth the price to get in touch with libopenraw [1] devs. I do not
know a lot about raw files but I believe libkdcraw have quite similar goals
to libopenraw. Looking at Hubert Figuière blog [2], it seems libopenraw 0.0.1
should be released soon...

[1]: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2flibopenraw
[2]: http://www.figuiere.net/hub/blog/?2006/09/15/453-towards-libopenraw-001