[Kde-imaging] My point on KIPI

Aurelien Gateau aurelien.gateau at free.fr
Tue Jan 31 00:39:12 CET 2006

Hum...

Sorry for the late answer, I should probably have replied before, but I must
confess I missed the thread. Fortunately Angelo CC'ed Gwenview mailing list.

So this is the trial of the non-contributing developers, right? :-)

Let's see what I can say for my defense:

- Gwenview is pretty much a single-dev project. Other people did contribute
quite a lot, but I am the one in charge for the administrative stuff and for
most of the application.
- I have a real-life too (yes, I'm sure I'm not alone :-) ) which involves an
interesting but very time-consuming work, as well as getting ready for my
daughter, who should appear in April.

This means I can only spare very little time to hack on Gwenview and KIPI, and
yes I must confess I often spend more of this precious time on Gwenview than
on KIPI.

Still, I do manage to contribute from time to time:
- I do some web site updates, mainly to release third-party KIPI packages I
get when I release a new version of Gwenview.

- I did setup the SourceForge project to host all released files, and migrated
the files to it.

- I proposed a new API for KIPI... the lack of interest for it did not
encourage me to continue :-(

Yes I know it isn't much, but you can't say it's nothing.

IMHO the main problem with KIPI is lack of coordination. What about defining a
TODO list and let devs assign themselves items from this list? I obviously
don't have time to become a release manager, but I can assure you I would
achieve the tasks I assign to myself.

Regards,