[Kde-imaging] Future of KIPI - waitaminute, please

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at free.fr
Mon Jan 30 18:54:13 CET 2006

Le Lundi 30 Janvier 2006 15:41, Jesper K. Pedersen a écrit :
> First of all, please excuse me the late answer, I'm on a business trip
> (well I'm with a customer, and has been so since September).
>
> I'm the developer of KPhotoAlbum (previously known as KimDaBa), and I
> strongly urges you to reconsider killing KIPI.
>
> I agree that I haven't contributed much to KIPI lately, but on the other
> hand I don't contribute much to other libraries that KPhotoAlbum uses, such
> as KDE-libs, KExiv2 etc.
> On my side I considered KIPI in good hands and went on focuses on other
> parts. I haven't implemented a single feature in KPhotoAlbum that could
> have been located in KIPI, actually on the contrary, I'm slowly working on
> a Bibble integration plugin.
>
> My contribution to KIPI are on the other hand not non-existent - I try to
> keep it at a marketing level. I did for example do a KIPI tutorial at the
> latest KDE conference, and in one of the upcoming month there is a large
> article on KIPI on a German Linux magazine.
>
> Besides I spent literally man month up front designing+developing KIPI, and
> doing the basic port of most digiKam plugins to KIPI, with a lot of help
> from Gilles.
>
> As I said, I strongly urges you to keep KIPI alive, if not for me, then for
> all the users we share, who enjoyes their favorite features in all of the
> KIPI enabled applications.

Hi Jesper,

I'm sorry to give a bad sound here, but about me, I have waiting too long a
response from others kipi hosts main developpers about any important subject
relevant of future of libkipi/kipi-plugins.

About kipi, i think to share plugins between many hosts application is a great
idea... if, and only if... there are most than one, two, or tree
developpers/maintenor in the team (typically me, Joern, and Tom)

Like computer sience engineer, i think that creating old digikamplugins to
kipi-plugins have very increased the entropy of plugins. There are too many
bugs report in B.K.O for digikam team. This is why kipi is in this state at
now.

Personally, i have concentrate my efforts since one year to develop
DigikamImagePlugins, and now digiKam core. There is no way for me to
support/manage/hack an another large project like kipi. This sound is hard to
say for me : I have developped 60% of plugins in the past...

Gilles Caulier