[Kde-imaging] About ImagesGallery plugin

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Tue Feb 7 20:32:10 CET 2006

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 00:01, Aurelien Gateau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I originally announced I would work on ImagesGallery plugin this weekend, but
> real life decided other way :-(.
>
> Nevertheless, I have been thinking about it, especially about making it
> simpler.
>
> Here is my proposal:
>
> * 1st page: Album selection
> No change
>
> * 2nd page: Look
> Instead of individual settings like colors, fonts and border sizes, provide a
> list of CSS-based templates. This would have several advantages:
> - Simpler selection
> - Would make it possible to produce much nicer galleries
> - Easily extendable
>
> There would be a "Details" group box containing all the "Show(...)"
> checkboxes. It would also include the "Show(...)" checkboxes from the current
> "Album" page.
>
> * 3rd page: Image settings
> This page would host all image resize and compression options, like the
> thumbnail size, whether to resize full images...
>
> * 4th page: Output
> Here you would find the destination dir. I would like to support network
> transparency so that the user can directly upload the gallery to an FTP site
> for example. Would be nice.
> There should also be a checkbox to specify whether to open the gallery in a
> browser at the end.
>
> What do you think about this?

All of them make sense IMHO.  Fixes and UI enhancements
are a good thing.

I'm still not sure if I like the the config like page(s).
A wizard that displays the 4 pages after each other is
a better concept IMHO.  Current design needs of course less
clicks _if_ one is knows that the chosen values in the other
pages are correct.

Before putting too _much_ efford in imagesgallery additions,
time is IMHO better spend to find a way to interact with one (several?) of the
existing gallery programs.  Many of the missing features, e.g., CSS, are
already implemented there.  Generating an input/config file for a tool
and fire it up from kipi, is much easier to maintain than developing
a full featured gallery plugin.  Maybe gallery upstream author even takes
over/helps to maintain such a plugin (I'm dreaming ;).

Just my 2 cents,
Achim

> Another question, about Subversion. Since this is going to be a rewrite,
> should I start a new dir for this plugin or should I keep the current one?

Before putting too _much_ efford in imagesgallery additions,
time is IMHO better spend to find a way to interact with one (several?) of the
existing gallery programs.  Many of the missing features, e.g., CSS, are
already implemented there.  Generating an input/config file for a tool
and fire it up from kipi, is much easier to maintain than developing
a full featured gallery plugin.  Maybe gallery upstream author even takes
over/helps to maintain such a plugin (I'm dreaming I know;).

Mhmm, a general (sort of a base class plugin) that take list of files
and start app xy with the files in arguments may also be helpful to
incorporate e.g., external slideview programs,  fire up kommander
scripts wrapper around imagemagick or other tools.

Just my 2 cents,
Achim