[Kde-i18n-fa] Very OT: Do we have the W sound in Farsi?

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Wed Jun 16 09:46:37 CEST 2004

Le Wednesday 16 June 2004 06:04, Platoali a écrit :
> On Wednesday 16 June 2004 01:38, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > Don't you realize that Farsi and Turkish are two completely
> > different languages? They are not even from the same root, Farsi is
> > an Indo-European language, Turkish is a Turkic language. What Turks
> > have done can not help me in any way, cause they speak a different
> > language.
>
> My example was just about implementing phonetic sounds to Latin
> alphabet. This doesn't relate to any languages(Turkish or Farsi or
> Majabaratikati). They have done it in recent time so their
> methodology should be helpful for you. you can't do it for English or
> any other European languages. Because of time, what their are
> pronouncing are very different to what their are writing. Usually
> written forms change much slower than oral forms. Turks have done
> this very recently so that their works can be used.

Fine, I get your point. Turks had one simple rule when changing their
alphabet. Write everything as it is pronounced. It is working quite
well for them.

I am also following the same rule and am writing everything as it is
pronounced, with few minor exceptions to help readability and grammer
points.

But you are wrong that it (changing the alphabet) can't be done for
European languages. Norwegians also did the same thing, they nearly
completely changed the alphabet, as did the Malaysians (though that is
not a european country). Germans also had a review on their language,
though it wasn't a complete rewrite. (That's why German is easy to
read, most things are pronounced exactly the same way they are
written). Though Arash is probably more knowledgable about this.

I bet it can be done for languages such as French or English, but guess
there is no need to do it. Reading French is really cumbersome for a
newbie, but it has its advantages. French for example is written very
different than how it is pronounced, but the written form gives the
reader an idea about the root of the word, possibly the word's Latin
origin, and these can help understand the meaning of a word. Same rule
applies to English more or less, regarding prefixes and suffixes, which
mostly come from Latin.

So as you can see, there is a dilemma here. Writing everything as they
are pronounced helps reading, but I also want to make sure that the
roots of the words can be found. I have to find the right balance.

> >I will count your opinion, and thanks for replying. But I don't
> > regard Mo'in that high anyway.
>
> I don't understand why Iranian have the habit of denying their past.
> Dr Mo'in was very great man. He was very knowladgable and used the
> best persons of that time in writing of this great book.He work all
> of its life to write  two great books. Farhang-e mo'in was a
> masterpeace of his time. I know it has many lacks. This is because
> nobody did revise it from the time of publication. But it has many
> great features you can't find in any other dictionary. One of them
> was using phonetic alphabet. It was a very hard task. because they
> did not have phonetic fonts in their printing house. So they build
> them. You can be sure it is  correct in 99.9% of time.
>
> Anyway don't compare yourself with a great man like Dr Mo'in.

Sorry, sorry sorry. Mixed up big. For one sudden instant, I confused
Dr.Mo'in with Mr.Hayyem (the author of the famous English-Persian
Dictionary).

Dr.Mo'in's Dictionary is a great work of art, I have relied heavily on
it for years and years. I am sorry, I mixed up big. Only if I had his
Dictionary with me right now...

Yes, your suggestion was a very good one. Frankly it didn't come to my
mind. I should consult some Persian dictionaries and look at their
phonetic. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers
--
/* It is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is
a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist