[kde-i18n-el] Re: Fwd: Fwd: Re: l10n-kde4/el/messages/www

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Jun 9 20:01:05 CEST 2011

A Thursday, June 09, 2011, stelios va escriure:
> On 8 June 2011 21:22, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> > A Wednesday, June 08, 2011, stelios va escriure:
> >> Oh, ok, only when I visited the link I figured out what was all about.
> >> If I am not wrong, I think the idea behind the www package is
> >> translations without prior contact with the target page.
> >
> > What do you mean "without prior contact"?
> >
> >> If it is so, the .po needs more msgctxt strings to be included.
> >> I mean I can see now some improvements required by the translated text.
> >
> > Well, you are supposed to know what you are translating and in doubt ask,
> > not just translate to whatever you think it can be better. If you
> > suggest some
>
> I believe what you are saying here is that a basic understanding
> should be adequate

What i want to say is that ideally if you are unsure of how to translate the
string "Open" you should either run the application (or webpage in this case)
to try to find out where that string appears or you should ask this list. As I
say that is the ideal scenario and i know almost noone does it (I did not do
it when I was translating stuff).

> > contexts i'll see if i can implement it, but as far as i know our web
> > framework does not allow the implementation of contexts.
>
> As a 'translator' I'm not supposed to know about this
> otherwise if people are required to have insights about applications
> and frameworks
> in order to translate, you would hardly find any volunteer translator
> to do the job.

I never said you should know that, and if i did it is because my english is
not as good as i would like it to be.

> Anyway it is good to know and thanks for the info.
> You don't have to implement contexts.
> It would be fine if trunk/l10n-kde4/templates/messages/www/README
> becomes more specific having a line added for each new pot file, something
> like edu_www.po : target website : edu.kde.org

I actually thought it was pretty obvious, but if you don't think so i'll try
to make it more verbose. Again, ideally you should ask if you find a new .po
file to translate and you do not know what it belongs to.

Thanks for sharing your concerns,
  Albert