[Kde-hardware-devel] kscreen overrides xorg.con*

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 21 16:53:31 UTC 2013

I use many systems for testing various software. None use more than one
display at once. I use KDE 99%+, Gnome 0%, and others less than 1%. Quite
often my testing requires specific configuration be maintained across various
distros and/or versions and/or hardware. Doing this is typically facilitated
via /etc/X11/xorg.con* far more readily than via xrandr, the latter of which
often cannot be used due to lack of KMS support for a non-Intel, non-AMD,
non-NVidia gfxchip.

In the process of trying to define a problem with Nouveau, DVI-I output and
CRT, I just spent the better part of two days swapping gfxcards in different
systems, booting different distros, and restarting X with various config
options or not, trying to figure out why a two month old Fedora 19's KDE
behaves the same as other distros while a newer one does not. Finally @
provided. KScreen (reported by yum.log as 0.0.92-1.fc19) went into Fedora
19's 4.10.4 sometime in the past two months, while openSUSE 13.1 won't have
it until it acquires 4.11. 'rpm -e --nodeps kscreen' solved the problem for
the present.

The question is, on systems that for whatever reason do have any of
/etc/X11/xorg.con*, is $SUBJECT necessary?

If yes generally:

A-should it do so even on initial KDE (Plasma?) startup (aka empty ~/.kde/)
by any given user?

B-what should it do on any startup directly subsequent to a global X
configuration change?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/