[Kde-hardware-devel] KSolidNotifier - the return of the hacks - or what to do for frameworks

Lamarque V. Souza lamarque at kde.org
Wed Dec 7 10:48:38 UTC 2011

Em Monday 05 December 2011, Sune Vuorela escreveu:
> Hi peoples
>
> I'm hoping that one of you will pick up the following thing:
>
> in knotify daemon, there is a class called KSolidNotifier. It is
> basically code to reroute some notifications, if plasma is running,
> reroute everything, if plasma isn't running, trim things and do a
> galago-spec notification (usin KNotification)
>
> This was, according to my irc logs from ancient times and a email with
> De Simoi, because there at tthat time was the following alternatives:
> 1) put actually unrelated code into knotify
> 2) do yet another daemon
> 3) make solid depend on kdeui
>
> and 1) was chosen at that time.
>
> Now, I'm planning to kill the knotify daemon, since it nowadays mostly
> just repacks dbus messages, and create a separate library to just write
> the correct message the first time.
>
> This means that the KSolidNotifer code needs a new home, due to it
> either need to be in libsolid or alternatively, it needs to be a 'one
> instance running' kind of thing.
>
> I suggest one of the following (and hope that one of you will pick it up
> from here):
>
> 1) a kded module
> 2) a solidd
> 3) fold it into solid, make solid depend on the notification library I
> do. This will greatly simplyfy the code in KSolidNotifier
> 4) rethink the design of device notifications
> 5) something I haven't thought of.
>
> So here, I throw the ball to you, and hope some of you will pick it up.

	I think 3) is that most cleaner solution from source code point of view.
I am wondering if we should keep UI specific code outside Solid. Is there any
plan to support using Solid with Qt-only apps and not KNotification? Maybe for
Plasma Active we will need a different notification system or at least
different UI to fit small screens.

	No go for 2), it is much better using a kded module as suggested in 1).

--
Lamarque V. Souza
KDE's Network Management maintainer