[Kde-hardware-devel] Notes from Solid BoF at Tokamak4

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Feb 23 00:28:22 CET 2010

(CCing Martin Sandsmark as his name popped up regarding the audio support)

Hello metalworkers![*]

Since the mail of sebas about the notes taken during the Solid BoF at Tokamak4
didn't go through after two attempts (and is not even stuck into the moderator
queue... go figure), I decided to send it here directly myself.

Of course, if you're interested in hardware support in KDE for 2010 you
probably want to read it all.

As a bonus (as apparently it wasn't in sebas' ghost mail), I'm providing you
URLs to the two pictures we took of the whiteboard. They kind of summarize the
two great directions we're taking for the project.

http://ervin.ipsquad.net/share/solidcontrol_magically_disappearing.jpg
Extra info on this picture:
We all noticed that unlike what was planned, there's really only one consumer
of each of the areas (power, network, bluetooth, lirc) of libsolidcontrol. As
such its structure to ensure independence is an unnecessary burden to the
people working on libsolidcontrol and the people using it in the stack as the
abstraction is low level.
Also, we noticed that there's an organizational pattern happening already in
the powermanagement and networkmanagement area with a kded module at its
center, providing a control interface for a KCM and a Plasma data engine which
feeds a Plasma widget display. In some case libsolid might query said daemon
for very high level and simple features aimed at general purpose applications.
So, the idea is to rollback the relevant libsolidcontrol parts in the KDED
module, killing the backend separation in the process. The abstraction over
the system facilities used would then be done within the KDE module in a more
ad hoc way, or using several versions of the module.

http://ervin.ipsquad.net/share/solid_multibackend.jpg
Extra info on this picture:
Right now, libsolid has a frontend/backend architecture. But there can be only
one backend loaded at a time which then has to provide *everything* by itself.
That was quite a limitation, and for instance in the end that's the reason why
we weren't listing any of the bluetooth devices directly from libsolid for
instance (as that would require a BlueZ backend).
In order to fix the situation, and also to distribute better the
responsibilities among us (so far the HAL backend is mostly a one man show,
and there's only 24 hours per day), the idea is to finally allow libsolid to
use several backends at the same time depending on the requests it gets from
the application. We listed several benefits to that:
 - Bringing more contributors to libsolid via its backends;
 - Tackling some of the expected features that we couldn't really provide
(better audio support or bluetooth for instance);
 - Easier to also provide virtual devices that we were completely ignoring so
far (alsa come to mind here);
 - Opening up libsolid on the network (yes! network devices from your home! as
we aim at having a UPNP backend);
 - Make ervin happy as he'll feel less alone, doing mostly integration work.
;-)

So we still have bugreports against libsolid, but I kicked myself and actually
fixed the most important issue it still had to my knowledge: the leak which
was reported on kde-core-devel in december. So now I can actually start
touching the architecture to go to the multi-backend architecture as soon as I
find some time for it. I don't expect it to take too long in fact...

The movement toward disbanding libsolidcontrol is still in its infancy and
will probably take some time. Dario and Will are probably well placed to
comment on their own areas (which are AFAIK the biggest ones).

That's all for now folks. Interesting times ahead for us.

Comments and questions are welcome, in particular since that's mostly raw
material that we have taken during the meeting (tried to reinsert some context
though).

Regards.

[*] Since KDE people are called "gearheads", I just decided to call the people
dealing with hardware in KDE the "metalworkers" (and yes for those who wonder
it's kind of a reference to Judas Priest which was playing earlier at
Tokamak4).
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net