[Kde-hardware-devel] Custom Shutdown Options

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Thu Aug 26 23:40:16 CEST 2010

In <201008261235.36730.sebas at kde.org>, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
>Don't fret, you seem to have found someone who knows what you're talking
>about -- or pretends to.

Very good.

>I'm CC:ing hardware-devel, KDE's list for hardware-related development
>(nomen est omen).

Continuing that.

>> I prefer to [...] use Suspend to Both.
>>
>> I can do this manually with a (sudo s2both) in a konsole window.
>
>Pretty cool feature, indeed. I've been using something similar when I was
>more involved with the Suspend2 project. I suppose openSUSE ships this?

ISTR OpenSUSE having something like it.  I'm using the "uswsusp" package on
Debian.  "uswsusp" = [U]serspace [S]oft[W]are [SUSP]end.

>> What is the best way to integrate the "Suspend to Both" option into my KDE
>> environment?  I'd like to choose it from the "Leave..." menu, as will as
>> using  it as an action in the power management settings.
>
>From a UI point of view, it probably makes most sense to replace the suspend
>option with it, as it's still essentially s3 (but with an extra safety net).
>I don't think another option in the UI there really makes sense, one
>shutdown and three modes of suspend sound like overkill in my books.

While I can understand that, I don't agree with it.

On slower laptop hard-drives writing pages to disk can take a few minutes to
finish.  That process isn't interruptable, so I can imagine use cases where
the user would actually prefer just using suspend to RAM.  Laptop users with
solid-state disks might also have issues with the additional wear, maybe?

Instead, I think it might go like this:
s2ram -> Fast Sleep
s2both -> Safe Sleep
s2disk -> Hibernate

>In order to integrate it nicely (if you don't just want to replace HAL's
>suspend method), you'd have to add it to HAL (*1), to Solid and then make it
>available in the UIs (shutdown dialog, kickoff, battery widget).
>
>I'm afraid just pulling packages won't help you much. You'll have to get
>your coding hands dirty.

Can do.  I'll file a bug / feature request first, but I should be able to add
"s2both" though the chain easily enough.  I'm not at all familiar with their
source or configuration, but it should be limited to C/C++, shell, XML, and
some plain-text formats, right?

Please CC me on replies; I am not subscribed to kde-devel or kde-hardware-
devel.
bss at iguanasuicide.net                   ((_/)o o(\_))