[Kde-hardware-devel] 2009 introspective

Armijn Hemel armijn at uulug.nl
Tue May 5 23:22:47 CEST 2009

hi there,

> > there are better plans for UPnP integration across
> > the KDE desktop, with at least three "rival" non-communicating disconnected
> > efforts going on (Amarok internals, coherence, Jolie and network:/ are
> > keywords here).
>
> IMHO this sounds a bit to harsh, pardon me. To my knowledge there is
> communication, just low-frequency and small content. Bart from Amarok invited
> some to the meeting in Paris next weekend (?). And the network:/ kioslave has
> no UPnP stuff in it yet, due to me being without UPnP knowledge and
> devices/use cases. So I just wait for and try to encourage those who do have
> these to add an UPnP backend for the kioslave (see
> kdebase/runtime/kioslave/network/network/builder) and perhaps cooperate on
> the contained network library as a whole. No rivaling here :)

Well, there *is* rivaling and in my opinion, that's good. Together with
Adriaan I'm digging into UPnP. After doing a few years of UPnP security
research (see http://www.upnp-hacks.org/ if you want to know evil stuff
about UPnP) I have a clear idea what *I* want (but I am not much of a
coder, so I have outsourced it to Adriaan). This is not necessarily
compatible with what other people want. Having multiple implementations
is good in my opinion. I know what I proposed is good, but I really hope
that other people show that it can be done a lot better :-)

> But sure, things could improve a lot. It may mostly lack someone with UPnP
> knowledge pushing things, so others can join the efforts.

I would say there would be three groups who could do that: coherence,
amarok and adriaan/me. No...wait... ;-)

armijn