[Kde-hardware-devel] SolidBackendSelector API review

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 14:16:59 CEST 2009

On Saturday 28 March 2009 23:02:34 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Apologies if I misunderstood it, but it seemed to me that this widget
> would be integrated directly into the modules themselves ( Bluetooth
> backend selection in the Bluetooth module, etc. ). If this wasn't the
> idea then the API is definitely overkill.

Exactly. What I'd like to avoid is another level of abstraction on kcmodules.
Once we have this widget (I can give you some help, if you like), the
additional functions would be:

 - (set)BackendType() [That's everything we need: we can retrieve everything
else from the .desktop file]
 - (set)SelectedBackend() [To let developers pick the current choice]

And then all needed internals.

For graphics, now that I had a look, I'd keep the current one we have in
Hardware, since it looks clean and easy. Though, it would be nice to have a
"Test" button, but this should be implemented in the backends first.

Also, from what I see, such a widget already exists in
kdebase/workspace/solid/kcm/backendchooser, so it's mostly a matter of
refining it and putting it into kdeui. What about that?

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer
GPG Key Signature: 511A9A3B