[kde-guidelines] Licenses

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sun Oct 3 20:14:28 CEST 2004

On Sunday 03 October 2004 17:57, zander at kde.org wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 04:03:18PM +0000, Frans Englich wrote:
> > On Friday 01 October 2004 10:56, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > My first thought on this reflects a discussion (for a book) I had some
> > > time ago; the concern here is that code-snippets should be libarally
> > > licensed; people should be completely free to copy code from the guide,
> > > and do anything with that code. This in contrast to the texts
> > > themselves.
> > >
> > > If it is not practical to change the licensing mid-page, I suggest to
> > > publish source-code twice. One time in the book; and one time as
> > > seperate files which will be downloadable (or shipped on a CD).  The
> > > copyright holder of that code should then allow us to distribute his
> > > code in 2 licenses, one is the one of the paragraph it appears in, the
> > > other is the very-liberal use-wherever-you want license.
> >
> > But the guidelines shouldn't contain large code snippets, AFAICT,
> > because:
> >
> > * The guidelines are not about technical issues. Understanding
> > programming/technical aspects should be handled elsewhere.
> >
> > * People shouldn't need it.
>
> While searching for another reference; I see you brought this up
> already... :(
>
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-usability&m=109349440410010&w=2
>
> Aarons answer was not much different from mine, was it?

The post you reply to(in this thread) is about putting code listings in the
HIG, while that link leads to about that lovely discussion about KUA. AFAICT,
there's one comment which could relate to this thread as a whole, and that's
Aaron's about where to put the rationales. Perhaps got the wrong link or
replied to the wrong thread? Otherwise you'll have to quote from it.

Cheers,

	Frans