Wanted: Qt6 port of Kajongg (or rather: someone doing it : ) )

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue Sep 12 23:22:51 BST 2023

Hi Wolfgang & everyone,

as you might have heard or seen, many KDE projects are currently preparing to
begin doing releases of the software now based on Qt6, with KF 6.0, Plasma 6.0
and the next major KDE Gear bundle (23.12, actually rather 24.02 with current
plans) all scheduled for coordinated release in February 2024.
See for details this email:
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-devel/2023-September/002008.html

ALMOST ALL KDE GAMES SUPPORT QT6, KAJONGG SOON LAST ONE NOT TO

In the KDE Games department, almost all KDE Gear release-covered game sources
already got a Qt6/KF6 treatment over the last months, allowing to choose the
Qt version at configuration time. KDE CI is always building both variants to
ensure there are no regressions on any changes. There are only 2 left now, one
being Ksirk (trying to port myself right now), and Kajongg.

TRIED MYSELF; BUT BETTER DONE BY A PRO :)

I before gave a quick try also to Kajongg, though my little Python clue is too
poor. A naive s/Qt5/Qzt6/g approach failed at runtime at least when using the
About dialog. And then I thought the original author/maintainer also might be
better suited and enjoy such work, if still available & interested :)

So would you, Wolfgang, still be around and have spare resources to share here
in the near future (weeks)? If not, anyone else with proper Python clue?
It seemed that Qt5 & Qt6 have pretty similar API also with Python, so not too
much work might be needed. Seems some projects in the wild even support both
Qt5 & Qt6 from the same sources. Perhaps the same could be also done for now
with Kajongg, until KDE Games fully switched to Qt6-only? Otherwise a
dedicated "kf6" branch just for Qt6 support is also fine, done elsewhere in
KDE projects and is standard branch name.

KDE Frameworks has no Python binding at all now, so the current Qt-only
approach is as before okay.
The Qt6/KF6 build of libkmahjongg still provides the same data at the same
place, so no changes needed there as well (AFAIK only the graphics resources
are used by Kajongg, no code).
The CMake macros from ki18n & kdoctools should also be the same, so also no
need for changes there.

WILL HAPPILY ASSIST WITH ANYTHING NON-PYTHON

So if you are a happy Python developer, but uneasy with CMake and all the ECM/
KF jazz, as well as integrating with branching and the release planning, I
happily help out with all that. I would have done that otherwise anyway, just
the Python code work needed kept me away for now.

Fine with private emails on the matter, can be also contacted as frinring on
#kde-devel or #kde-games (Libera Chat/Matrix bridge) during CEST evenings
usually.

Cheers
Friedrich