[Kde-games-devel] GSoC and Knights

Miha Čančula miha at noughmad.eu
Mon Mar 14 21:50:15 CET 2011

Hello!

As you might know, I'm the author of the KDE4 version of Knights. The
program has just released a stable 2.3 version with enough features for
general use, but there are still things missing. I posted a GSoC idea on the
Techbase page and got some responses from students. I have another idea in
mind, but I won't publish it on the techbase if there's no reason to.

Unfortunately, I myself am still a student, and I would like to participate
in the summer of code program as well. I can't be both a student and a
mentor at the same time, and considering that I could use some extra money,
I'd rather be a student. However, I've never participated in GSoC (but I
have in SoK), so I can't say if I'll be accepted or not. This brings us to a
dilemma, and I'd like some things cleared first.

1. Would a proposal for Knights be accepted at all? I know that you're
reluctant to accept proposals for new games, but this project would not be a
new game. Then again, it's part of extragear and not the kde-games module,
and as the first game there, I have no idea what the situation is like.

2. In the event that I get accepted as a student (for something else, but
still KDE) would anyone be prepared to take over mentorship for Knights? It
uses the KDE technologies as much as possible, so there shouldn't be any
unknown code in it. The code base isn't large, and I tried to document its
design, but if there are any questions about the code I'll try my best to
answer.

Thank you,
Miha Čančula