[Kde-games-devel] Online highscores in GGZ

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Tue Feb 12 08:54:24 CET 2008

Am Dienstag 12 Februar 2008 00:04:19 schrieb Richard Hartmann:
> Online high scores invite, I would even say demand, cheating. Throw in some
> source code and you have a very bad situation.

The question that such score submission systems answer is not:
	"What's your global ranking?"

Instead, the qestion is:
	"How do you compare to others *that you've played against*?"

For each game, the scores are only taken into account if you've uploaded the
same scores for each player like each player has for himself. Therefore,
since upload requires a password, it is not possible to trick you into scores
that you and your tablemates have never submitted.

If people create a karma network and assign arbitrary high scores to
themselves: Fine, but nobody will care :-)

Josef