[Kde-games-devel] Theming suport

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Thu Mar 29 05:02:05 CEST 2007

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> If you do use a raster image as a source image, I suggest you at least wrap it
>> inside an SVG document.  That way, your code will permit an artist to update
>> or create a theme that replaces the raster image in the SVG file with an
>> actual SVG-based image.
>
> I would argue that if the code isn't able to let the theme determine
> whether a raster or SVG image is used, it's broken :-). So there would
> be no problem here; the theme would specify if it should use raster or SVG.

In practice, raster-inside-SVG is not supported by KSVGRenderer (or
QSVGRenderer) anyway, so the best *(only)!* way to handle PNG graphics
is to support them directly in the theme loader code as well, if
necessary. I agree that for some types of data having the support for
PNG as well could be useful, specially for photographic material, 3D
rendered images, and other types of imagery that can be difficult to
produce in SVG with acceptable file sizes and rendering times.

KGoldrunner for example is using a mix of SVG and raster for the
elements. I plan to support PNG backgrounds in libkmahjongg, but at this
time I believe only SVG will be supported for tilesets.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini