[Kde-games-devel] Theming suport

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Mar 15 04:14:50 CET 2007

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:27 am, Parker Coates wrote:
> On 3/14/07, Branan Riley <branan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So the dialog should probably just be a list of all SVG files in the
> > search path that contain _every_ sprite for the game. Then in the
> > advanced section, it lists all SVG files in the search path, and lets the
> > user choose which sprites from which files (with a nice preview of
> > course).
>
> Including this in the UI seems like overkill to me. While it might be
> "neat" to mix and match sprites, the majority of the time, the results
> won't be very aesthetically pleasing.

I agree.  This is very dependent on the game, IMO.  In KMahjongg,
for example, you could probably mix and match tilesets and backgrounds
quite freely, with not too many aesthetic clashes.  In KGoldrunner, I
have experimented a fair bit with mixtures of backgrounds and tiles lately
and found, to my dismay, that some combinations did not look so good
and could adversely affect gameplay on some levels, by making
game-objects rather hard to see :-( ...

I think we should leave the original mixes to the artists and await
the "re-mixes" to appear, as Parker has suggested will happen.

Another factor is that there seems to be a substantial time-overhead
to just loading a SVG file, so we would not want more than one or two
SVG files involved in a theme.

All the best, Ian W.