devel/shiboken2 build with python-3.11

Jason E. Hale jhale at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 10 18:45:51 GMT 2023

On Fri, Dec 8, 2023 at 4:45 AM wen heping <wenheping2000 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     Here is a simple patch to build devel/shiboken2 when
> DEFAULT_PYTHON=3.11.
>
>     Upstream seems build with python-3.11 :
>     https://forum.qt.io/topic/144843/pyside2-shiboken2-support-for-python-3-11
>
>     Now it build well but I am not sure whether or not there would
> be run error. Would you have a test of it ?
>

> Regards,
> wen

Seems reasonable, but for safety we should probably restrict it to
3.11 for when 3.12 hits the ports tree. As far as runtime goes, there
are very few ports that actually use it. If devel/pyside2 builds and
something like cad/freecad works, it is probably fine. Qt 5.15.LTS
public releases tend to lag a year behind the commercial releases,
partially to encourage the open source community to move on to newer
offerings, meaning we should be seeing Qt/shiboken2/pyside2 5.15.12 at
the end of this month with potentially improved support for Python
3.11. Not sure about how well Python 3.12 will work since it was
released just a couple months ago and we don't yet have a port for it.
Pardon the pun, but it may take over a year to catch up on the PySide
of things, at which point actively maintained projects will have
hopefully switched to Qt6/PySide6. In reality, though, we'll probably
be having this conversation all over again at the same time next year
:).

- Jason