[kde-freebsd] Display Problems in 4.8.3 on FreeBSD 8.3 stable

David Booth davidb at boothscientific.com
Tue May 29 16:42:36 UTC 2012

Hi:

I updated to 4.8.3 this weekend and now have display rendering issues
in windows for KDE applications.

The first issue seems to be a vertical offset issue.  All of the KDE
windows seem to have their content offset to the top.  For example, if
I open a web page in Konqueror, the top two inches of the page
disappear under the title bar and there is a corresponding gray
rectangle at the bottom of the page with no content.  I see the same
thing in other KDE windows.  For example, if I open a Konsole window,
the window contents are shifted upwards so the top two lines of text
are not visible and there is a gray rectangle at the bottom of the
window.  Also, if I use the mouse to select a line of text, the
highlighted line of text is two lines above where the mouse cursor is
located.  Similar behavior is seen with buttons.  Generally, in order
to select a button, I have to place the mouse cursor a half-inch or so
below it.

The second issue seems to be redraw issue.  If I minimize a Konqueror
window and then expand it again, it come back with just an empty gray
background and no content.  If I decrease the size of a Konsole
window, the old full-size window remains visible in the background.

Another issue is that some KDE windows come up blank when opened (such
as the Application Launcher).  If I move the mouse around in the blank
window, items will appear and disappear as the mouse moves over them
and off of them.  With this behavior, I cannot change any of the
system settings as the window is unusable.

I have tried various values for kern.ipc.shmni and kern.ipc.shmseg up
to 4096 and it seems to make no difference.

Non-KDE applications such as Firefox, Opera, Gimp, Thunderbird,
GoogleEarth etc. do not have these problems.  They work fine.

The video card is an Nvidia FX 2700M (G94GL).  I  have tried with the
native Nvidia driver as well with the NV driver and VESA.  The
behavior is the same for all

This all seems very similar to the behavior that KDEgames had in
4.7.4, but the rest of the KDE windows worked well there.

I see occasional errors on the console from which KDE was started such
as:

QNativeImage: Unable to attach to shared memory segment

and

kpat(2724)/KSharedDataChache: Unabel to find an appropriate lock to
guard the shared cache.  This *should* be essentially impossible. :(
kpat(2724)/KSharedDataCache: Unable to perform initial setup, this
system probably does not really support process-shared pthreads or
semaphores, even though it claims otherwise.
kpat(2724)/KSharedDataChache:  Unable to unmap shared memory segment
0x80e200000

Does anybody have any suggestions to try to fix this? Do I have a
configuration issue somewhere?

Environment is 8.3 stable AMD64 updated as of 5/26/2012.  Ports all up
to date as of 5/26/12. X.org X Server 1.10.6

Hardware:  Intel T9600 processor with 4GB ram, Nvidia FX 2700M (G94GL)
video card.

This hardware/Xorg configuration worked fine with 4.7.4 except for
KDEgames as mentioned above.

Thanks for your help.

David B.