[kde-freebsd] [patch] Digikam 2.6 - too many open files

Mel Flynn rflynn at acsalaska.net
Wed Jun 13 20:03:28 UTC 2012

On 13-6-2012 14:13, Jason E. Hale wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 09:35:07 Oleg Sidorkin wrote:
>
>> kern.maxfiles: 12328
>> kern.openfiles: 5826
>> Album has 6282 photos.
>
> I would suggest bumping kern.maxfiles up to something like 25000.  I was able
> to reproduce the error with a smaller kern.maxfiles (~18000) on my system.
> That is a little subjective, though.

Isn't the real problem here that:
- the program does not handle a resource limit very well (spewing lines
saying they hit a limit rather then informing the user with one dialog
what to increase)
- that the program cannot work correctly with a default system limit
that is sane for most other workloads.
- that watching a file for changes is a feature that should have a
manual option (aka a refresh button) or should at the very least be able
to work within limits given to the program.

--
Mel